12.24.2014

"A Child's Christmas in Wales": A Very Merry Prompt

Merry Christmas Eve, everyone!

To get you all in the Christmas spirit, here is my very favorite Christmas poem. It's called "A Child's Christmas in Wales", and it's written by Dylan Thomas. I love this poem so much, that when I found an illustrated version in a second-hand bookshop, I immediately bought it to read every Christmas to my future children. And until I have those little tykes to read it to, I pledged to read it every Christmas on my own.

Here's the book, right off my shelf! 


I first discovered this poem when my favorite poetry professor assigned it as Christmas reading. I was immediately enchanted. Our assignment was to read the poem, and then write our own "A Child's Christmas in _____".  I wrote mine about my favorite Christmas memories with my Italian grandmother, and all our traditions that I remember best during the holiday season. Take a listen to Dylan Thomas reading his poem below, or click here to read the full poem. I advise you do both! Listen and follow along at the same time if you're in a hurry.




Here is your prompt: write your very own "A Child's Christmas in Wales"! Start by freewriting about your favorite childhood Christmas memories. Think about traditions, funny stories, favorite foods, and favorite smells. Basically, write down what Christmas means to you, focusing on your childhood memories. I recommend doing a longer freewrite for this one, maybe 20-30 minutes. (If you're not sure what freewriting is, check out this handy guide.) When you're done, put it into whatever poetic form you wish. It can be as long or as short as you'd like.

Share your Christmas poem in the comments and check out everyone else's poetry.

And lastly, have a very Merry Christmas! Take a look around the site for other inspiration posts featuring funny memes, prompts, musings, videos, and much more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Floodmark Made By Underline Designs