2.03.2015

The Bookshelf Deconstructed: Turning Titles into Poems

It's no secret that I am a bibliophile. I am a book hoarder. I buy books I don't need because they look lonely. I buy books I do need, well, because I just need them. I'm entranced with the ambiance of a room stuffed with books. I organize my books by size and color (unless they're part of a series. I'm not a monster, people). I am endlessly infatuated with my random assortment of books. And now, thanks to artist  Nina Katchadourian, I have a new way to use them:



Image credit: Slate.com



As a poet, I am always searching for new ways to put my surroundings to use in my work, and it turns out that my bookshelves were the perfect place to look, after all this time.

Here's what I came up with:


And here's how I would translate these titles into my poem:


Now it's your turn! Unload all the books from your shelves and surround yourself with them. Check out books with interesting titles from the library. Steal your roommate's books. Don't worry about where your selections are going to lead you; just grab the titles that speak to you and rearrange them until you've ordered them in a way that fits your poetic style. Add punctuation and line breaks, or don't! It's entirely up to you.

Like the result? Share it with us via email or leave a comment below. Just remember: Floodmark is not responsible for crabby cohabiting book owners wondering why the shelves have been totally rearranged.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Floodmark Made By Underline Designs