12.17.2014

On Repeat This Week: "Miami"

credit: stockvault.net
I'm probably not alone in saying that music inspires me to write. I'm also probably not alone in that I can attribute some of my favorite poems to songs or albums I listened to over and over again while scribbling in my notebook.

The problem with listening to music as you write can be that you start writing the song's lyrics instead of your own words, or you write something too close to the lyrics. (We're not about to plagiarize, people.) On the flip side, slipping into a song and letting it woo your brain with new words and phrases can generate some pretty amazing poetry, so if you've been feeling a bit mentally blocked, music is a great chance to break free.



One of my all-time favorite poems came from a Counting Crows song, so when I caught myself listening to "Miami" on repeat, I wasn't surprised that I started feeling inspired. I don't quite know what it is- the lyrics or the instrumentals- but I'm feeling pretty poetically obsessed.

Care to take a listen? We've got you covered:

 

Your prompt, should you accept it, is simple: listen to this song as many times as you like, freewriting while listening. Then, organize your thoughts and phrases into a poem.

Do you prefer writing with music or writing in silence? Leave a comment below, especially if you have any good song recommendations. We can always use some new tunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Floodmark Made By Underline Designs