8.14.2015

Statue of the Aphrodite of Knidos + Rilke Inspiration

Everyone needs a  little whimsy in their lives. That's why we dig prompts that combine visual art with quotes. (Read: we have a plethora of these prompts. Click here to access them.) These kinds of prompts make your brain work in two directions at the same time, which is awesome news for writers. Sometimes out best work comes through synthesizing two different artistic mediums. We can take inspiration from the elements of the masters, and let our brains rework them into a brand new piece of art. 

Today's work of art? A statute that's currently living at the Art Institute of Chicago's Ancient Greek / Roman art exhibit. This statue struck me while I was wandering around one rainy evening, and I felt compelled to stop, study, and size up this statue. For a lady with no head, she's pretty goddamn striking. The exquisite silence of her body is what captured my attention. When you face her, you share in her silence. There's a depth there you're unable to sound --- there's no echo. All of this adds up to an unsettling and oddly comforting experience

Just the way I like my art.


Statue of the Aphrodite of Knidos - Roman, 2nd Century A.D.

Whenever I think of statues looking out at the viewer, I think of Rilke. The comparison has become as natural as breathing to me. It's all tied up with a college professor of mine that used to lecture on art and Rilke's poem "Archaic Torso of Apollo". So it seemed natural to me to pair this photo with a Rilke quote. The quote below isn't from the poem my professor so loved to quote, but I thought this one a little better suited to Aphrodite. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

© Floodmark Made By Underline Designs