1.31.2016

Weekend Whimsy: Roots


Weekend Whimsy (prompt) = Art + Quote + Prompt. You can find all the other ones here. 

The Art 


I flipped through a whole lotta Frida Kahlo before I decided on "Roots" (1943). I know Kahlo is usually pretty surreal, so I shouldn't be surprised at just how odd this painting is. But I am. And I love it. I think it's the pillow that really gets me. The pillow is the moment the painting clicked for me, and I realized that "Roots" speaks to what we reach for in our unconscious. 

(source)


The Quote





The Prompt

You're dreaming. 

There's an "Exit" sign in front of you, glowing in the darkness. 

What's pulling you back? What are you feeling as you take a step forward? 

See what happens next -- do you gently untangle your roots and feel joy for a life well lived? Or do your roots require some more complicated excavation? Focus on the exact moment you inhabit the doorway. Try not to get into the weeds of how you came to the doorway and where you're going.

Free write for 20 minutes on this scenario.

Read more of Alexandria's work on Floodmark.



No comments:

Post a Comment

© Floodmark Made By Underline Designs