1.17.2016

Weekend Whimsy: Ophelia

Not sure what Weekend Whimsy prompts are? Check out this one for starter's. The quick and dirty explanation is: we provide one piece of art and one quote, stir, and bake for 20 mins to make a multimedia prompt. Pretty simple. 

Today's prompt is all about Ophelia. Hamlet is my favorite Shakespeare play for many reasons, but one large reason is Ophelia. She fascinates me. I find myself drawn to her character again and again. (If you need a quick refresher course on who Ophelia is, this is for you.

The Art


In an Art History class in college, this painting depicting her death by Sir John Everett Millais came onto the large screen in the front of the classroom. The beauty of the painting combined with the context of the story -- these are Ophelia's final moments -- make for an unsettling viewing experience. Furthermore, the look on her face has always sent my brain racing. Is she peaceful? Is that anguish I read in her face? Ecstasy? I can never tell.

(source)

The Quote


[Ophelia] There's rosemary, that's for remembrance. Pray you, love, 
remember. And there is pansies, that's for thoughts.

[Laertes] A document in madness! Thoughts and remembrance fitted.

[Ophelia] There's fennel for you, and columbines. There's rue for you, 
and here's some for me. We may call it herb of grace o' Sundays. 
O, you must wear your rue with a difference! There's a daisy. I 
would give you some violets, but they wither'd all when my father 
died. They say he made a good end. 
(Sings) For bonny sweet Robin is all my joy.



The Prompts


1) Title a poem "Ophelia".

2) Write a poem in which you list your own flower meanings. Take your stylistic cues from Ophelia in the quote above.

3) Free-write on the painting above for 10 minutes. Pay special attention to the colors, the flowers, and Ophelia's facial expressions and body language. What does the air around her smell like? What is she feeling? What is she thinking? Did she intend to die? All worthy questions to tackle using the evidence in this painting.

Read more of Alexandria's work here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

© Floodmark Made By Underline Designs