5.26.2016

What's in a Name? The Moth & Butterfly Edition


Juliet Capulet asked it first: "What's in a name?" It's something that I've been thinking about for a few months. I've been in and out of museums a lot lately, and I've been most fascinated by long lists of names on the display cases. This year, I'm trying to stop and smell the roses, to notice the little things that I normally just glaze over. Long lists of names, especially scientific names, falls under the list of things I glaze over. 

Naturally, I found a way to use this in my writing. Isn't it curious, this urge to name things? To point to something and utter some noises, as if naming summons something into existence, makes it clearer and more real. I wanted to share some of the names I have collected in my notebook from the Field Museum's Abbot Hall of Conservation with you. Perhaps you can glean some inspiration, too. 

The Inspiration



1. Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio glaucus)
2. Waterlily Borer Moth (Munroessa gyralis)
3. Basswood Leafroller Moth (Pantographa limata)
4. Twin-spotted Sphinx (Smerinthus jamaicensis)
5. False Crocus Geometer (Xanthotype urticaria)
6. Ipsilon Dart (Agrotis ipsilon)
7. Ilia Underwing (Catocala ilia)
8. Yellow-fringer Dolichromia Moth (Dolichromia olinalis)
9. Ailanthus Webworm Moth (Atteva aurea)
10. Peck's Skipper (Polites peckius)
11. White-dotted Prominent (Nadata gibbosa)
12. Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta)
13. Harnessed Moth (Apantesis phalerata)
14. Viceroy (Limenitis archippus)
15. Common Wood Nymph (Cercyonis pegala)


The Prompt


Pick a name, any name. Make it the title of your poem and write to it. What captures your attention more? The common name, or the Latin name? Why? Do some free association with each name to explore the connection between the two. What do the sounds bring to mind? If you're feeling really stuck, get your Google on and find some photos of these strange, winged creatures that represent both night and day. 

Happy writing!

Read more of Alexandria's work on Floodmark.



1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

© Floodmark Made By Underline Designs