5.10.2016

Prairies are Oceans are Prairies



It’s time I admit it. I have a love affair. With my macro lens. 


There’s something about the impeccable detail and clarity of macro shots that makes me an absolute chump for macro photography. Those blurred backgrounds though…

Consequently, it was only fitting that this past January when I was supposed to be focusing on landscapes for a class assignment, I kept getting sidetracked and taking extreme close ups of dead plants. Sue me. (I know my dad wanted to, when on our walk together, I stopped for upwards of ten minutes to get 50+ different angles of crusty, dried out plants while nonstop raving about how cool it was that close up, a flower could look nothing like a flower and instead more like a sea sponge, or an insect, etc., etc.) 















That last image reminded me so much of something you’d find in the sea that I ended up using it in an surreal edit, casting my little sister as Annabel Lee, the titular character from the Edgar Allan Poe poem(I said I was sorry, Mom…)






The Prompt


Use the images to make a metaphor or a simile. Look at each picture not as a picture of decaying vegetation, try to look at them like you would an inkblot test, or up at the clouds. I saw a sea sponge in one of the images…what do you see in some of the others? A fox’s tail? A deer’s antlers, heavy with shedding velvet? The aftermath of a bonfire pit? Then free write about what you see. Connect your images back to what the image is in reality, if you wish. Mix together the real and surreal, make the mundane or lackluster into poetry. I’ll bet it’s one of the things you do best. 


Read more of Alyssa's work on Floodmark.

1 comment:

  1. That last pic is of Monarda Fisulosa (Bee Balm) you should see it in flower, I too am amazed at how woody their stems become in the winter

    ReplyDelete

© Floodmark Made By Underline Designs