7.30.2015

A Dramatic Reading of a Real Breakup Letter (AKA Get Ready To Die Laughing)

You know what's always entertaining? Dramatic readings.

I highly advise you do a couple of things with this video:

  1. Do not watch it somewhere you're supposed to be quiet. (i.e., WORK)
  2. If you can follow along, read the words. They're painfully hysterical and you'll understand why his pronunciation is bananas. 
  3. Feel free to laugh your hiney off, because no matter how many times I watch it, when I hit "you make me touch your hands for stupid reasons",  I completely lose my shit.





via http://youmakemetouchyourhandsforstupidreasons.ytmnd.com



I'll bet you're thinking, "How could these people ever turn this video into a prompt?!"
Alternatively, you could be thinking about how your faith in humanity was lost somewhere around the first "bastert". 

Either way, here's your prompt:

Give your own dramatic reading. 

It's as simple as that. All joking aside, this video is a great example of how punctuation (yes, I can turn this into a learning experience) is super duper important. For example, LACK OF punctuation (aka 100 run on sentences) can make your poem sound like you're purposefully trying to starve your lungs of air. Too much punctuation makes you sound like a squirrel on PCP really banging that nut against a rock. So, let's all find happy mediums unless we're going for dramatic effect --- which is totally cool, just make sure you're being strategic.

The best way to find all that out? Listen to yourself read your work out loud. I do it all the time, and I am 100% sure I'm not the only one. Hearing it can completely change the meaning, and it helps you get a really good grasp on line breaks, rhyming, rhythm, and punctuation functionality. 

Or you could just go back and listen to this video one more time. No shame.








No comments:

Post a Comment

© Floodmark Made By Underline Designs